Monday, April 11, 2011

Young's Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Bread

Honestly, this is the best homemade Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread recipe I have EVER tried.  I think it tastes A LOT like Great Harvest's Pumpkin Bread, but the homemade version is so much less expensive and available whenever I feel like baking it!  I got the recipe from Kendra, who got the recipe from the Young family (neighbors in Boise).

Today I was feeling like baking, but I wanted something a "little" bit healthier.  So I chose this recipe and made a few changes (listed at the bottom of the recipe).

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin
1 ¼ cup oil
3 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil.  Sift together dry ingredients and add to mixing bowl.  Stir until combined.  Fold in chocolate chips. 
Pour into 2 greased and floured 8x4x2 loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.

Healthy Changes:  2 eggs & 3 egg whites (instead of 4 eggs), 1 1/2 cups sugar (instead of 2 cups), 1/4 cup oil (instead of 1 1/4 cups), 1 cup plain yogurt (to replace the missing oil), 1 cup whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (instead of 1 1/2 cups).  I baked it in 33 muffin cups (1 5/8 oz of batter per muffin; or 1 medium scoop and 1 small scoop of batter with my Pampered Chef scoops).  I wish I would have given the paper liners a quick spray of Pam.  Because I decreased the oil by so much, the muffins kind of stuck to the paper.  But they tasted good.  I didn't tell anyone in my family that the muffins were "healthified," and the muffins are being eaten up just like normal!  WW:  3 PointsPlus per muffin

2 comments:

  1. I made some sour cream chocolate muffins (ff sour cream) and they stuck to the paper liners--hmm I never thought about spraying them. I'll have to remember that and try it with all my "healthified" muffins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baker's Joy is my favorite spray! I rarely use paper liners for muffins anymore--just a quick spray of Baker's Joy and the muffins come out cleanly and with that yummy golden, slightly crisp exterior that I love. Plus, Baker's Joy doesn't darken my muffin tins or make them sticky like some nonstick sprays do.

    ReplyDelete