Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Heavenly Chocolate Cheeesecake

I made the original recipe on Sunday, and after making the Pumpkin Cheesecake today, I knew how I would change this recipe to make it like I really like cheesecake... very thick and creamy, with cream cheese being the star... not the other ingredients.  So here's how I will make it when I make it again.

Heavenly Chocolate Cheesecake (Teresa's version) -- not yet tested
1 3/4 cup finely crushed chocolate cookies
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
10 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Brush inside of a 10" springform pan with melted butter and chill.  Add remaining butter to cookie crumbs.  Stir until all crumbs are moistened.  Press crumb mixture even over bottom of pan.  Chill until firm, approximately 30-60 minutes.  Meanwhile, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Add sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.  Stir in melted chocolate.  Pour filling onto crust and bake until sides are set but center is still soft (original recipe said 50-60 minutes; but I lowered the temperature and thickened the cheesecake, so I think it will be more like 1 hour 30 minutes).  Turn off oven and leave cake inside until cool.  Refrigerate 4 hours before serving.

What I changed:  The original recipe called for only 2 packages of cheesecake, but it made for a very thin (only about 1" thick) cheesecake.  Also, I thought it was too chocolately (I know you're shocked to hear that from me).  I wanted it to be more like a chocolate mousse flavor, so I didn't change the amount of chocolate even though I doubled the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment