Saturday, October 31, 2009

Candy Bar Caramel Apples


Joshua was concerned because he had never had a caramel apple. I didn't want him to grow up without having the opportunity to try a caramel apple, so I decided I would make him some. I was nervous, because I haven't had much success with homemade caramel apples in the past (it's been probably 15 years since I last tried). I found this recipe from Land O'Lakes. It was easy to make, the apples looked quite elegant, and they tasted delicious. My favorite way to serve caramel apples is to slice them into thin wedges--it's much easier to eat that way. I used the Peter's brand block caramel that I bought at Gygi's. I bought 12 honeycrisp apples from Costco and had enough caramel to make 12 (I did have to chop a little more candy, though). I didn't take a picture of mine--this picture is from Land O'Lakes--but the apples actually do end up looking like the picture.

Yield: 8 caramel apples


8 wooden craft sticks
8 large apples, washed, dried (I used honeycrisp apples and they were fabulous)
1 cup chopped your favorite chocolate-covered candy bars (I used chopped Butterfingers)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 (11-ounce) bag caramel bits or 45 unwrapped caramels (I used 11 ounces of block caramel)
1 cup milk chocolate & caramel swirled baking chips (or use 1 cup milk chocolate chips)
2 (1-ounce) squares white baking chocolate, melted

Insert 1 wooden stick into stem end of each apple; set aside. Line baking sheet with waxed paper; spray with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Place chopped candy into medium bowl; set aside.

Combine butter, milk and caramel bits in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramel is melted and smooth (5 to 7 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in baking chips until smooth.

Place pan over low heat; dip apples into melted caramel mixture until evenly coated, spooning mixture over apples as needed. Shake gently to allow all excess caramel mixture to drip off. Roll bottoms of apples into chopped candy. Place onto prepared baking sheet.

Drizzle each apple with melted white chocolate. If necessary, lift each apple from waxed paper and press caramel and chopped candy back onto bottom of apples. Place back onto waxed paper.

Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Wrap each apple in waxed paper; store refrigerated. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.


Recipe Tips
* Make sure to allow all excess caramel mixture to drip off into pan.

* Wrap 2 colors of festive ribbon around wooden sticks for a special touch. Tie at ends to secure.

* Leftover caramel sauce can be re-heated and served over ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. I've never liked caramel apples because they're so hard to eat, so thanks for the serving suggestion!

    ReplyDelete