Thursday, October 15, 2009

Apple Dumplings


Since Teresa asked where the picture of the apple dumplings was, I thought I'd post my picture and the recipe. Valerie, are you including this recipe in the Yancey cookbook? Bryce thought it was interesting that Paige picked out the apple pieces in the apple pie I made, but she ate the entire apple dumpling. I told him this was no surprise--that's why the apples are shredded. I explained how Mom had to shred the apples so we would eat them as children -- same reason we shred the carrots and potatoes in our hamburger soup. What an eye-opening conversation this was for him!

1 9" two crust pie dough recipe
3 to 4 cups peeled, shredded apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp butter or margarine

Syrup:
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Make pie dough. (I usually use Kendra's recipe that she says is from the Lion House Cookbook). Combine the sugar and cinnamon. Roll out pie dough thin and cut into 6 approximately 6" squares. In the center of each square place heaping 1/2 cup apples. Sprinkle a spoonful of cinnamon sugar over the apples. Cut the 1 1/2 tbsp butter into six pieces and place one piece of butter on top of apples. Fold the opposite corners of pie dough square up and secure with a toothpick. Place dumplings in a 13"x9" pan. Make the syrup by combining all ingredients and boiling for 3 minutes. Pour syrup over the dumplings. Bake at 425 degrees for 40 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious, Janeil! The dumpling looks divine! Do you have any left? And do you think I can make it up there and back by 4 pm for Bryant's game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do have some left. I made a total of 20 apple dumplings. I took two to Korinne and Brandon (because they didn't know what apple dumplings were). I took 4 to Brother and Sister Davis and family. And I took two to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson (you all remember your elementary teacher, right?). I forgot to buy more vanilla ice cream at the store today. We ate all the homemade stuff I had. Bummers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am definitely planning on including this recipe in the Yancey Family Reunion cookbook. Thanks for the picture! Mine didn't turn out nearly as pretty (which is why I didn't post my picture).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is a favorite and brings back memories of childhood for me. Just made the Apple Dumplings last night as a birthday treat for my mother-in-law. It was a hit!

    ReplyDelete