Sunday, February 6, 2011

Grilled Halibut with Tomato-Avacado Salsa

All I can say about this recipe is YUMMY! I think it even beats out my love of McGrath's Parmesan Halibut. It has some of my favorite ingredients and put all together was a delicious way to serve fish. I ended up just cooking it on the stove top in a skillet, but during the summer I'm sure I'll try it on the grill.

Tomato-Avocado Salsa
1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
1 medium avocado, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Fish
1 lb. halibut or other firm fish steaks, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

In a medium bowl, mix salsa ingredients until well blended. Cover and refrigerate about 20 minutes or until chilled.

If fish steaks are large, cut into serving pieces. In shallow glass or plastic dish, mix remaining fish ingredients. Place fish in dish; turn to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 2 hours to marinate.

Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove fish from marinade; reserve marinade. Place fish on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 15-20 minutes, brushing 2 or 3 times with marinade and turning once, until fish flakes easily with fork. Discard any remaining marinade. Divide fish and salsa among 4 dinner plates.

2 comments:

  1. We haven't had halibut for years! Alyssa declared it her favorite fish when she was about 4 years old--but we've kind of forgotten about it. This recipe inspries me to plan halibut into our menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my boys would LOVE this recipe!

    ReplyDelete