Friday, January 9, 2009

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

I didn't want Kendra and Teresa to think they were the only ones using this blog, so here's a recipe I made a couple nights ago when I was struggling with knowing what to make for dinner. Luckily I had all the ingredients and was able to put it together pretty quickly. Though I started at 5:30 so we were eating dinner at 6:30. We love the Chicken and Wild Rice Soup at Mrs. Powell's in the mall. So through the years I've tried many recipes and this is the closest I've come to the soup we love. I usually use a little more celery and carrots. This last time I used a 12.5 0z. can of chicken for speed. It was great.


Chicken Wild Rice Soup

5 2/3 cups water
1 package (4.3 oz) long grain and wild rice mix
1 envelope chicken noodle soup mix
1 celery rib, chopped
1 medium carrot chopped
1/3 cu chopped onion
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup cubed cooked chicken

In a large saucepan, combine water, rice with contents of seasoning packet, and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in celery, carrot and onion. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken soup and chicken. Cook 9 minutes longer or until the rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 5 servings.

3 comments:

  1. This soup sounds delicious, Janeil! And it's one of those recipes that I could make from my food storage. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Someone else posted besides me and Kendra! I LOVE Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, and I can't wait to try this recipe. I've got everything but the Long Grain and Wild Rice mix. Do you recommend a particular brand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used "Uncle Ben's" and "Farmhouse" and both have turned out fine. I've never noticed a wild rice mix with "Rice-a-roni" so I haven't tried that brand. I've never found one that was exactly 4.3 oz, but a bit more or less rice hasn't hurt the recipe.

    ReplyDelete