Saturday, June 11, 2011

Whole Wheat Griddle Cakes


Although I’m a huge fan of sweet pancakes (carrot cake, chocolate fudge, oatmeal cookie, etc.), sometimes it’s nice to have a pancake that is just barely sweetened but bursting with hearty whole grain flavor. That’s where these pancakes come in. They’re great for breakfast with any toppings and/or syrup that you prefer.

Whole Wheat Griddle Cakes

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. (Batter will thicken on standing. If desired, add 1 tablespoon milk at a time for a thinner consistency. I like a thicker consistency, so I don’t add extra milk.)

Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. For each pancake, pour about ¼ cup batter onto the hot griddle. Spread batter into a circle about 4 inches in diameter.

Cook over medium heat until pancakes are golden brown, turning to cool second sides when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry (about 1 to 2 minutes per side). Serve immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300°F oven.

Makes 16 pancakes.

Recipe source: Pancakes and Toppings (by Better Homes and Gardens)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such great recipes, Valerie! I'm loving this "recipe of the day". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I noticed that you are just using measuring cups for your flour. Do you still weigh it or is using dry measuring cups the way you are going? I have gone through and tried to put weight by all the flour in my favorite recipes, or should I just go back to cups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still bake primarily by weight. I almost never use measuring cups for flour. However, I made these pancakes on the spur of the moment for breakfast, trying to get them done before Bart got home from work. I couldn't find my calculator quickly and as it was a new recipe I hadn't yet converted it to weight. So I did actually use measuring cups this time. If you notice, however, I posted the lemon cream cake recipe ONLY in weight measurements.

    ReplyDelete