Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crock Pot Pork Chop Dinner

Every week in their ad, Macey's prints a recipe that will feed a family of 4-6 for under $15-$18.  And the nice thing is they put all the ingredients for the meal in one place in the store (just as you enter) so it's quick shopping! I finally tried one of their recipes, and I'm so glad I did.  It was home-cooked goodness through and through!

Crock Pot Pork Chop Dinner
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed (if your potatoes are big, 3 will probably be enough)
1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4" thick (I bought a sirloin roast because it was less expensive, and then sliced it into chops myself)
1 package dry onion soup mix
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup

Lightly spray large crock pot with Pam.  Place peeled and cubed potatoes in bottom of crock pot, and then layer carrots on top of the potatoes.  Place pork chops on top of the carrots, and sprinkle the dry onion soup mix over the pork chops.  Layer the sliced onions next, and then top with the condensed cream of mushroom soup. Place lid on crockpot, turn on HIGH, and cook for 5 hours (the recipe says LOW for 6-8 hours, but I didn't have that much time) until pork is fork tender and potatoes and carrots are done.  Serve with a salad and roll.  I thought the potatoes and carrots needed just a little seasoning, so next time I make this, I will probably sprinkle a little kosher salt on them before layering the pork chops.  Also, I thought this would be DELISH with fresh mushrooms added with the onion layer. I was surprised how saucy the pork, potatoes, and carrots were, considering no other liquid was added other than the soup.  So yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I made this meal in the crockpot with cubed steak. Halfway through I took a spoon and went around the edges so that the soup would go to the bottom. We didn't think the potatoes and carrots needed salt--it tasted really salty to us; maybe because of my going around the edges to get the soup beneath. I also added sauteed mushrooms to the onion layer. It was a very good meal and very easy to make. We could "cut" the meat with a fork! Thanks for sharing, Teresa

    ReplyDelete