Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cinnamon Breakfast Bites


Last time I made these everyone asked me to be sure to make a double batch next time. It's a quick breakfast treat that we all really enjoy!

Cinnamon Breakfast Bites

Ingredients

1-1/3 cups (6 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (1 ounce) crisp rice cereal, coarsely crushed
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounce)butter-flavored shortening
1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

•In a large bowl, combine the flour, cereal, 2 tablespoons sugar,
baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Shape into 1-in.
balls.

•In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Dip balls in
butter, then roll in cinnamon-sugar.

•Arrange in a single layer in an 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at
425° for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (check early).
Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 dozen).

2 comments:

  1. We're going to make this tonight--the 28th of January. Marcia and family are coming so we will use it as a dessert. I will let you know what they think of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this and used it as a dessert. I at first made the balls too big, so Dad cut them in half (after I had already buttered and cinnamon-sugared them), I dipped the cut part into butter and then the cinnamon sugar. The other pan was made just as said. We really liked the pan that I had to rebutter. I wish I had poured the rest of the melted butter over the last pan. Marcia and family really liked them and Phil called them doughnuts! Now he has me thinking--can we take the raised doughnut recipe, make them into balls, roll in butter and cinnamon and sugar, let rise and bake? We could call them Spudnut Bites! (I would definitely cut the recipe down for this project--or you might not have enough pans in the house!)

    ReplyDelete