Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Erica!!

Erica's birthday was yesterday. I made her a carousel cake using a yummy poppy seed cake recipe. Here's the picture and recipe. (We had to wake Erica up for supper, so that's why she looks a bit sleepy in the picture.) By the time we got around to blowing out the candles, she had perked up considerably.







Lion House Poppy Seed Cake

(July 2nd -- I thought I'd update this by saying that I made the recipe exactly as written for the first time for London's {my niece} birthday party and we decided we like it better with the changes I had made previously because they were the ingredients I had on hand.)

1 yellow cake mix
1 pkg (3 oz) instant vanilla pudding (I used white chocolate)
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1 tsp rum flavoring (I used almond)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Blend with beaters on low speed. Beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Cool 15 minutes. Turn cake out of pan onto a cake rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the cake with us, Janeil. It's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two times I made this, even after testing with a toothpick, and having the cake spring back when pressed, it fell and collapsed upon itself. I forgot that happened 2 times ago, until it happened this time. So sad. I'm commenting to remind myself -- cook longer next time.

    ReplyDelete