Monday, June 7, 2010
Amish Baked Oatmeal
We love oatmeal for breakfast topped with chocolate chips, coconut, nuts and sometimes even ice cream. This baked oatmeal, however, tastes just like a warm oatmeal cookie. It’s great served just with fresh fruit sprinkled on it and milk poured over it!
• 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Warm milk (or cold--whichever you prefer)
• Fresh fruit and/or brown sugar, optional
• Combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
• Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately spoon into bowls; add milk. Top with fruit and/or brown sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.