Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tangy Shrimp Kabobs

I got my new Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2010 Annual Recipes book. So after a yummy and over-indulging Easter weekend, I'm back on my health kick and I planned my menus from the new cookbook. This recipe I thought was delicious! None of my kids ate it, but that's ok, because now I have a couple more meals for me ready to go. I couldn't find my skewers, so I actually just put it in a big pan and cooked it like a stir fry and I served mine with brown & wild rice.

1 can (20 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup fat-free Italian Salad Dressing
4 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
12 pearl onions (I left these out)
1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
Hot cooked rice, optional

- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, mustard and reserved pineapple juice. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture for sauce.

- In a dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 2 minutes. Add pepppers and boil 2 minutes longer. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel onions. Refrigerate vegetables until ready to grill.

- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup of reserved tomato sauce mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Keep warm.

- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain shrimp and discard marinade. On 12 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp and vegetables.

- Grill the kabobs, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, basting occasionally with remaining tomato sauce mixture. Drizzle kabobs with warm sauce. Serve with rice if deisred.

-2 kabobs with about 2 Tablespoons sauce (without rice) is 194 calories.

1 comment: