Monday, February 1, 2010
Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza
We love pizza! I like to use my pizza stone (I start it preheating early so it is plenty hot by the time I'm ready to bake the pizza). I assemble the pizza on a peel, then slide it off the peel onto the hot stone. That way, I get a nice, crisp crust that doesn't sag when I hold my slice of pizza to eat it.
• Pizza dough (using favorite recipe)
• 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 jar (10 ounces) sun-dried tomato pesto
• 1 large red onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup bacon bits
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp shredded cheddar cheese
• Prepare pizza dough. Set aside to rise (or make in advance and let rise slowly in fridge).
• In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, garlic and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain.
• On a floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 450°F for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
• Sprinkle crust with Parmesan cheese. Top with pesto, meat mixture, onion, bacon bits, and mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.