Friday, January 15, 2010
White Chicken Chili
This is a very fast-to-make chili that we all really enjoy.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 ½ cups chicken broth (divided)
• 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• ¼ - ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook for a few seconds.
2. Stir in 2 cups of the chicken broth and green chiles. Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in separate container or blender, blend together 1 cup of the beans with ½ cup broth until smooth (I use an immersion blender). Stir whole and blended beans into the broth, add chicken, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add ¼ cup cilantro. Season as necessary with salt and pepper.
4. Garnish with remaining cilantro, green onions and shredded cheese.