Friday, June 5, 2009

Crunchy Snickerdoodle French Toast


Do you remember how I always wanted the very crispiest waffle when we had waffles for breakfast? I haven’t really changed that much—I still love things with a crispy and crunchy texture. Like granola. Or nuts. Or crispy, crunchy French toast. We had this French toast for breakfast today. It has quite a crunchy texture, with a delicious cinnamon flavor. I have been planning on trying this recipe for a long time, but I never seem to remember to plan ahead. So today I finally decided to go ahead and make it, even though I didn’t have the time to freeze it for the full 1 to 2 hours or overnight. I just stuck the pan in the freezer for about a half hour or so while the oven preheated. It worked out great. If you don’t have time for the full freeze, just check them a little early. This recipe is from Land O’ Lakes.

1 ¼ cups (10 ounces) half-and-half (you can use fat free half & half if desired)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, crushed (substitute any cinnamon-flavored cereal or plain-flake cereal)
12 (3/4-inch thick) slices French bread (I used 6 slices of Bart’s homemade white bread that he just made yesterday)
Butter and maple syrup, if desired

Grease a cookie sheet. Combine half & half, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a shallow bowl, mix well. (Note: I used a food processor to crush the cereal. After pouring the crushed ceral into a shallow bowl, I mixed together the half & half, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in the food processor then transferred it to another shallow bowl.)

Place crushed cereal in another shallow bowl. Dip bread slices in egg mixture then into cereal crumbs. Place into prepared pan. Cover; freeze until firm (1 to 2 hours or overnight).

Heat oven to 425°F. Bake uncovered, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment