Sunday, July 12, 2009

Muddy Buddy Chex Mix


Everyone in my family enjoys this mix (though I think my mom loves it the most). This is my mom’s all-time FAVORITE snack mix. Every time I’ve made it, she has it with every meal. It’s a really fast and easy recipe, and it usually takes me 15 to 20 minutes to make a batch.

Ingredients:
8 cups Chex cereal (I have used corn, rice, and wheat Chex, and it has turned out each time. If you have only a little bit left of each type, it also works to mix the cereals together.)
2/3 cups peanuts
1 heaping cup of chocolate chips
2/3 cups peanut butter (or 6 3/8 ounces)
About 1 ½ cup powdered sugar (I usually eyeball this)

Optional Ingredient (I recommend adding this):
½ cup raisins

Instructions:
1- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, peanuts, and raisins.
2- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the peanut butter and the chocolate chips (you don’t need to stir them together.)
3- Put the bowl containing the chocolate and peanut butter in the microwave from 1 to 1 ½ minutes, then stir them together until they form a sauce.
4- Pour the mixture into the bowl containing the cereal and combine until well-coated.
5- Put the powdered sugar into a 2 gallon bag.
6- Add the cereal mixture to the bag and shake until each piece is coated with powdered sugar.
7- After the cereal is coated, lay a sheet of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet, then pour mixture onto the sheet.
8- Let the mix cool, then store in an air-tight container. You can store the mix in the refrigerator or in a cupboard.
9- Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making this treat for me, Alyssa! You're right--I do love it. It is sweet, crunchy, chewy, nutty, and chocolatey. You're welcome to make it anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of our family's favorite treats! I think you should make this and bring it camping next week (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete