Sunday, April 12, 2009

Green Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing

I got this recipe from my friend Jackie and I made it for Mom's Easter party. It's one of my favorite salads, but I have to make it when there is a party because Phil won't eat salad unless it has ranch dressing on top!

1 large head of Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (about 10 cups)
1 c. shredded Swiss or Mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. craisins
1 apple, cubed (treat with lemon juice)
1 pear, cubed (treat with lemon juice)
1/2 c. slivered almonds

Dressing:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 tsp. onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. oil
1 TBS. poppy seeds

In a blender, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Cover and process until blended. With machine running, add oil in a slow, steady stream. Add poppy seeds, and process a few seconds more. Pour over salad ingredients just before serving and toss.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe, Marcia! I loved this salad when you brought it to the Easter party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the salad, too, Marcia. And I'm excited to see a post from another sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It will be a perfect salad to bring to my next recipe exchange in May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy salad! Derek made this for us and we loved the combinations of flavors. We actually ended up serving it with a creamy poppyseed salad dressing we bought from the store.

    ReplyDelete