Monday, April 27, 2009

Cheesy au Gratin Potatoes

When I was typing my newsletter entry for April, I realized that I hadn't included this recipe in our blog. This is my current favorite potato casserole. It makes a fairly thin casserole, so there is quite a bit of "crisp" top--which is one of my favorite parts. Our whole family loves this potato dish. The recipe is from Cook's Country April 2009. You don't need to grease the baking dish.


1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 pounds russet potatoes , peeled and slice 1/8 inch thick (use a food processor or mandoline)
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth


1. COMBINE CHEESES Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Toss cheeses and cornstarch in large bowl until evenly coated.
2. ASSEMBLE GRATIN Shingle half of potatoes in large 2 to 3 quart gratin dish (or 13x9-inch baking pan), sprinkle evenly with 1 cup cheese mixture, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Top with remaining potatoes, additional ¾ teaspoon salt, and additional ¼ teaspoon pepper.
3. BAKE Combine cream and broth in large measuring cup and pour over potatoes. Top with remaining cheese mixture and bake until golden brown and fork inserted into center meets little resistance, 75 to 90 minutes (I recommend checking it quite a bit early--check it at least by 60 minutes). Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to get some Cook's Country cook books!

    ReplyDelete