Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lemony Turkey Breast

This week I've actually prepared dinner every night in the crockpot! I know it's a shock that I even planned ahead and prepared dinner. It has been wonderful to have it all ready, however I think my crockpot cooks hotter than the ones they use in the cookbooks because we have been having dinner done around 4:30 every night.

All of these recipes are out of Taste of Home. This was Thursday's Meal.

This turkey breast was delicious. I even made homemade mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie squares and pumpkin pie! I figure I shouldn't have to make Thanksgiving Dinner now, right?! I'm actually considering doing all my Thanksgiving meal in a slow cooker this year. I found a stuffing recipe and a sweet potatoe recipe too and a different turkey recipe, so then I can have the oven for rolls and just add in the vegetables and it should be yummy...I love Thanksgiving food!

1 bone-in turkey breast (5 lbs.), halved
1 medium lemon, halved
1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic salt
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

Remove skin from turkey. Pat turnkey dry with paper towels; spray turkey with nonstick cooking spray. Place breast side up in a slow cooker. Squeeze half of the lemon over turkey; sprinkle with lemon-pepper and garlic salt. Place lemon halves under turkey. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees. Remove turkey and keep warm. Discard lemon.

For gravy, pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Gradually stir in cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.

1 comment:

  1. We do a crock-pot turkey breast with Montreal Steak Seasoning. It sounds pretty similar to this recipe. The turkey stays moist, even if you over-cook it a little.

    ReplyDelete