Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

Yes, I'm trying to use Mom and Dad's apples. This recipe originally called for blueberries and I put "Yum" by the recipe in the book. So I decided to try it with apples and Bryce, Erica, Logan, and I had some at lunch today. It was very tasty.

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups peeled, finely diced apples

Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter or margarine

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in apples. Pour into a greased 13x9" pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings. (For the blueberry version: if using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to the batter).

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to try this recipe tonight. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this today with triple berry blend frozen berries. It was tasty, but a lot of my fruit sunk to the bottom, so there was a nice layer of berries, almost like a "berry crust." :)

    ReplyDelete