Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Creamy Coconut Pie

Erica celebrated another birthday and requested this for her birthday treat.  Logan was very happy with her selection.  I actually forgot to put in the almond extract this time.  It still tastes fine, but we like it better with the extract.  I've also doubled the recipe and put it in a 13 x 9" pan with crumbs just on the bottom.  (You don't need a full double recipe of the crust for this.)

1 package (3 oz) cream cheese
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/3 cups coconut
3 1/2 cups whipped topping, thawed (I use one 8 oz container)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 Graham Cracker Crust

Homemade Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

To make the crust:  Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and sugar.  Add the melted butter and stir until all the crumbs are moist with the butter.  Press onto bottom and sides of the pie plate.  If desired, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  (I don't usually bake my crust.) This makes enough for a 9: or 10" pie crust.  For this coconut pie, I use a 10" pie plate.

To make the filling:  I like to put the coconut in the food processor and chop it up a little finer than how it comes in the package.  Set the coconut aside for a later step.  Beat cream cheese in a mixer bowl until softened; beat in sugar.  Gradually add milk and beat until smooth.  (With my lovely beaters this loves to splatter everywhere.  I often cover up my bowl and beaters with a dish towel to contain the splatters.)  Fold in coconut, whipped topping and extract.  Spoon into crust.  Freeze until firm.  Let stand a room temperature to soften before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment