Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beefy Tortilla Casserole (or Taco Casserole)

This recipe is from Pillsbury Everyday Suppers 2007, a book I checked out from the library.  But I also found the same recipe in my new cookbook, Fix-it-and-Forget-it Big Cookbook, under a different name (Taco Casserole).  Whatever you want to call it, the casserole is delicious and filling.  It tastes like tamales, which is one of Jesse's favorite Mexican foods.  I prepared the meat and sauce on a previous day and stored it in the freezer.  On the day I wanted to serve the casserole, I thawed the meaty sauce, added the tortilla strips, and let it cook in the slower cooker.  The original recipe said it would serve 6, but they must be fairly small servings because we didn't feel like it was enough to fill up 3 grown boys and a mom!  Plus, I only have a 6-quart slow-cooker, so the amount of the recipe is a little small for such a large crockpot.  I will definitely double this recipe when I make it again. I served this casserole with a green salad and a fruit salad, and cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Beefy Tortilla Casserole
1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (I used Ro-tel, which adds some spiciness, too; you'll need to add extra water if you use Ro-tel because it's only about 10 oz.)
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed cream of onion soup (I used cream of mushroom because that's what I had on hand)
1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning mix
¼ cup water
6 corn tortillas (5- or 6-inch) cut into ½” strips
½ cup sour cream
4 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup)
3 T. sliced green onions

Cook ground beef in large skillet over medium heat until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.  Drain.
In 3 ½ - 5-quart slow cooker, combine ground beef, tomatoes, soup, taco seasoning mix and water; mix well.  Add tortilla strips; stir in gently.
Cover; cook on LOW for 7-8 hours (7 hours was plenty).
About 5 minutes before serving, spread sour cream over casserole (I didn't do this, as I wanted the sour cream to be a garnish).  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover; let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Sprinkle with onions.  Makes 6 servings (470 calories; 29g fat; 3g fiber)

No comments:

Post a Comment